Party Walls

A Party Wall or Party Structure is a shared wall structure built on a boundary or separating properties owned by different owners.  Sometimes fences and walls on boundaries can also be Party Walls. 

Party Structure Notices

When a neighbour is planning to carry out building works that will affect a shared party wall, or where the work is to be carried out close to a party wall or boundary, the Party Wall etc Act 1996 requires the owner doing the work to tell their neighbours about it.

This is done by way of a Party Structure Notice.  The Notice has to describe the work that is proposed and set out the rights the neighbours have under the terms of the Party Wall etc Act 1996. Everybody with an ‘interest’ in the wall has to be served with a Notice, so it can include long leaseholders, and most commercial property tenants.

There are potentially serious consequences if the correct procedures are not followed, which can prove expensive and time consuming for the owner doing the work.

If you have recently had a Party Structure Notice served on you, our expert party wall surveyors can help you with the process of considering the notice, checking the proposed works and if appropriate representing your interests through the building process. 

If you have been served with a Party Structure Notice, it is usual in most circumstances for the reasonable fees of a surveyor appointed, to be paid by the owner carrying out the work. 

We are extremely experienced in party wall matters and can advise owners when a Party Structure Notice has been received.

For advice, or more information, contact: 

Iain Pendle BSc (Hons) MRICS



Related Stories

CAPEX Reports

Planned Maintenance, Long Term Maintenance Plans, Capital Expenditure, Budget and Building Condition Reports  When setting service charges, reserve funds or budgets; a landlord, managing agent

Read More »